Home Care in Stockton CA
Terms such as warm river stone massage have become second nature to a generation that has been barraged by different massage therapy techniques from magazine advertisements to billboard signs. Seniors, however, grew up in a different time. Massage was considered a luxury and not a necessary aspect of a balanced life. Today you can find a spa on every corner and the need to educate seniors to its benefits is essential. There is even massage techniques dedicated to this age group called geriatric bodywork technique. This type of massage is a gentle tissue manipulation that is designed to increase circulation, decrease pain and increase range of motion.
Benefits of Geriatric Bodywork
- Increases circulation of both the blood and lymphatic vessels. Increased blood flow to muscles results in the body’s release of endorphins—the body’s feel good neurotransmitters. Increased lymphatic flow results in increased efficiency in the detoxification of the body.
- Decreases pain and stiffness associated with arthritis, chronic immobility, muscle spasms and under or over-used joints and their surrounding tissues. It helps to reduce pain in the hip, knee and shoulder joints, specifically.
- Relieves stress and anxiety. One way it accomplishes this is by the reduction of cortisol—the hormone associated with stress. Soothing touch and the use of aromatic oils also produces a calming effect.
- Reduces insomnia. Massage has been shown to increase the quality and quantity of sleep by inducing relaxation.
Technique of Geriatric Massage
Geriatric massage focuses on the hands and feet as well as other areas of the body that are distressed. It limits time to approximately 30 minutes as longer sessions may be inappropriate for this age group. Pressure and friction strokes are sometimes used to increase range of motion and flexibility. Often seniors that have not experienced massage before will be a little timid at their first visit. Be sure their first experience is a good one by asking the therapist a few questions such as their experience level with the elderly. As a family caregiver, you may want to accompany them to their first appointment. Having a dual massage that occurs simultaneously in the same room may ease any hesitation or fears. Once you and your loved one experience therapeutic touch together, it may become a weekly habit.
Following a massage, it’s important to drink an abundance of water in order to help flush the toxins that the massage may have released from body tissues.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in Stockton, CA, please contact the caring staff at ApexCare®. Proudly Serving Sacramento, Yolo, Placer & El Dorado Counties. Call Today 916-924-9111.
Since then, I have had a strong interest in helping and supporting our senior community as they age and are unable to care for themselves.Coming from a family of physicians, I am excited to be involved in the medical community by providing the highest levels of non-clinical in-home care to our clients and their families.With my work experience, I firmly believe that ApexCare can touch many lives and have a great impact on our local senior community.
Prior to joining ApexCare, I worked in a wide variety of industries and have owned multiple businesses ranging from construction to mortgage banking.Outside of work, I am an active youth soccer and basketball coach, having coached recreational soccer for over 8 years and elementary school basketball for over 4 years.I graduated with a BS in Economics from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and received a Masters of Management degree from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University.My career has been focused on building great organizations that deliver the highest absolute levels of service to our clients.I look forward to continuing this passion with ApexCare.
Latest posts by Jason Wu, President (see all)
- Does Sleep Apnea Affect Gout? - September 21, 2018
- Announcing Care Partnership Day on October 20, 2018 - September 20, 2018
- Can Occupational Therapy Benefit My Elderly Mom? - September 13, 2018